Cisco Networking Academy
Globally recognised ICT training at the UK’s first Cisco Academy for people with visual impairment.
“The Cisco course is really enjoyable, it’s taught well and I’ve loved every minute of it. The best thing is that it’s delivered online so you can go at your own pace. There are no specific deadlines, the teachers prepare you well for the exams and the practical work is great fun. It’s quite hard work and there’s a lot of thinking to do but if you have a passion for the subject; networking and computers, you’ll love it!” Jake Holt.
- CCNA 1: Routing and Switching Introduction to Networks: Provides a foundation on internet and computer networks.
- CCNA 2: Routing and Switching Essentials: Configuration and troubleshooting of routers and switches in a small Network.
- CCNA 3: Routing and Switching Scaling Networks: Configuration and troubleshooting of routers and switches for advanced functionality in large and complex networks.
- CCNA 4: Routing and Switching Connecting Networks: Understand WAN technologies, network services and devices in a complex network.
Duration of programme
1-3 years dependent on the individual student.
It is essential for all potential Networking Academy students to have enthusiasm and an interest in working in the IT networking industry, preferably with previous work experience, where applicable.
If you are on the BTEC Level 3 IT course, you will have the potential to do between one and four CCNA units in three years alongside your BTEC course.
Your individual circumstances will be discussed at your Pre-Entry Assessment.
CCNA Routing and Switching can be delivered as an independent programme of study or integrated into a broader IT course and helps you to develop work ready skills, building a foundation for success in networking-related careers.
All units are designed for students with a visual impairment wishing to undertake a career in the computer networking environment. You will follow the same curriculum as sighted peers in Cisco Academies worldwide; however the emphasis is on ensuring that assistive technologies and alternative formats allow you to have the right tools for the job upon leaving RNC.
The course teaches comprehensive networking concepts. You will progress from basic networking to more complex components and theoretical networking models. The course includes a level of literacy and numeracy specifically based on the computer networking industry requiring:
- Manipulating data in spreadsheets
- Report writing
- Number bases for computing
- Communication and presentation skills
- Employability skills
Classes are taught in small groups with a mixture of theory, practical work and discussion. The course is web driven featuring lots of web content and hands on experience.
- CCNA 1 features 11 chapters with an online exam and practical demonstrations as well as an overall unit assessment.
- CCNA 2 features 11 chapters with an online exam and practical demonstrations as well as an overall unit assessment.
- CCNA 3 features 9 chapters with an online exam and practical demonstrations as well as an overall unit assessment.
- CCNA 4 features 9 chapters with an online exam and practical demonstrations as well as an overall unit assessment.
The CCNA Routing and Switching units offer industry recognised certifications for entry-level career opportunities.
Cisco is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Find out more about their global Networking Academy by visiting their website; www.netacad.com
Student timetables at RNC
We recognise that all of our learners are individuals, which is why no two students will have the same timetable. As well as each student’s core area(s) of study, they will have a mixture of ICT Skills, Orientation and Mobility, Independent Living Skills and/or Braille on their timetables, dependent on their individual needs, goals and objectives.