IT Skills and Development
During your Pre-Entry Assessment we will work with you to identify the skills you currently have and the areas where you may need to develop to enable you to achieve an independent working medium using IT.
It is our belief that IT gives independence back to a person who has been reliant on assistance or who has just lost their sight. So much of our everyday life relies on our ability to use technology; increasingly, much of the information we need can only be accessed through electronic means. By having skills in using assistive technology a person with sight loss can access these materials.
At RNC we have a range of assistive technologies including:
- JAWS screen reader
- Supernova screen reader and/or large print
- Zoom Text large print
You may also have your own technologies which you are welcome to bring. Many of our students have mobile phones with speech or large print. Help is at hand from your peers and staff, to enable you to get the best out of these technologies. Most areas of the college are Wi-Fi enabled which gives you the freedom to use these technologies in any environment.
All students are taught in small groups but you work as individuals. We encourage peer support; you all have something to offer and at RNC you have the ability to support others.
The programmes we offer are individualised. You will undertake a profiling activity which will enable us to work out a programme for you.
IT Programme A
Developing a Working Medium
- Learning to touch type
- Developing assistive technology skills using applications
- Presentation of work
- Accessing emails
- Using Word
- Using the internet
IT Programme B
Developing Skills for Main Programme Areas
- Assistive Technology (more advance settings and setting for personal need)
- Presentation of work
- Word processing
- Research methods and referencing from the internet
- Presentation software
- Email (advanced functionality)
IT Programme C
Developing Skills for Future Education/Employment
- Assistive technologies (introduction to other technologies)
- Advanced internet searches
- Presentation of work, including proofreading
- Word processing including more advanced functions
- Spreadsheets including more advanced functions
- Presentation software and giving a presentation