It’s all in the planning!
Our supporters have helped to put together some helpful tips to make your fundraiser a success.
For sponsored events:
- Choose an activity that will challenge you, that you will enjoy and that will give you a huge sense of achievement
- Plan for every eventuality. If you are planning a walk, run or bike ride make sure to consider the types of roads you will be travelling on (remember motorways and some bridges are not open to cyclists). Drive the route to calculate the mileage and to check for anything that may cause problems
- Enlist support. If you are planning a long distance event ask a friend to drive a support vehicle and keep you supplied with food, water, repairs and encouragement. Approach local companies who may be willing to support your fundraising efforts with supplies or sponsorship
- Be safe and be legal. Whatever you do, ensure to check it is safe for all involved and it is legal. Most importantly though…have fun!
For group events:
- Decide what kind of event you want to hold and what additional activities you can include to raise extra money such as a raffle, face painting, a manicure
- Choose a venue, date, time and a target amount you want to raise. Remember to keep your overheads as low as possible, particularly if you are printing tickets and posters or have to pay for your venue
- Get people to come along. Think about how many people you need to attend to make the event a success. Start with friends, family and colleagues then promote it wider through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and posters in your local paper, pub and shop. Ask your friends to help you to reach more people and to help out with some of the organisation
- Let us know what you are doing so we can support you
- Be safe and be legal. There are lots of things to think about, like whether your raffle needs a licence. Read our Fundraising Toolkit or contact us if you are not sure